Thursday, March 10, 2011

Digital Literacy

After participating in the lecture about digital literacy a week ago, I realized that I am far from digitally literate. I guess I was unaware of this fact because I am surrounded by people that are even less digitally literate than I am. My mom always calls me her technology savvy daughter and until now I have not corrected her. I think that this class is helping me work on my digital literacy because it is opening my eyes to new resources and possibilities of the internet. I have been trying to work on my twitter account and this is helping me to connect to others in many different worlds. Like other things (Facebook), I am trying not to become obsessed but it is not working too well. I just keep telling myself that it is helping me with my digital literacy.

When I sat down to work on my literacy lesson plan I did not really know where to start. I wanted to work on something that could be incorporated into a Kindergarten classroom because that is my interest and passion. I love this age and I believe we simply expose the students to digital aspects of their world they will become more literate when they are older. I think that one that is very important to digital literacy is safety on the internet. I think the first thing that children need to learn is safety in order to learn more about the digital world. I think that it was fun and exciting finding different resources for these young students to work on such an important subject.

Something that was very surprising to me was that the students in the second grade classroom that I am working in this semester for another technology class are very technology illiterate. I think that it was shocking to me because they could hardly type, much less find things online that could further their learning. I think that it is very important for teachers to work on digital literacy from an early age, hence working on a digital literacy lesson plan for Kindergarten for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment