Thursday, March 10, 2011

Copyright and Fair Use

This is a couple of weeks late because I was trying to better understand this concept of copy rights and fair use. I think that I have been taught in my many years in school to be afraid of copy rights. I think that I have copy right when writing papers down to an art. I know when to site the different sources but I am very confused about the copy right and fair use on the internet. I think even after the lecture a couple of weeks I am slightly confused. I am working on my understanding using the different resources provided from my fellow classmates as well on the Google Docs. I found a couple of sources myself so that I could understand this concept so I will include them at the end of my post. I often find myself needing concrete examples of these ideas, I like to know definitions, examples and ways I can visualize the ideas. I think that my research has helped me clarify what the idea of copyright means to a teacher. I hope my resources help you to better understand the ideas and concepts of copyright and fair use.

Something that was confusing to me was what was public domain and what needed to copyrighted. I think that my idea of copyrighting before this was that anything on the internet needed to be cited and should not be used for your own without giving the author acknowledgment. I learned from a couple of sources that things in public domain do not need to be copyrighted. This source really helped me understand what is in public domain and what the idea of fair use really means. Another source that I found that was geared specifically for teachers is this source.

No comments:

Post a Comment