Monday, April 5, 2010

Chapter 10

This chapter has touched on the subject of assessment throughout the whole book, I feel like I have a good foundation about how you can effectively assess students. We talked about authentic assessment during our chapter presentation earlier in the semester. We talked about how students learn more effectively when teachers use authentic assessment and do not always test them on rote memorization. I really liked the idea in this chapter about having students do a news broadcast when they are doing current events. I know as a student I really enjoy doing more fun activities rather than tests. Personally if I am not interested in learning the material and my teacher simply gives us multiple choice tests or tests that focus only on memorization I will memorize the material for that particular day and forget about most of the material by the next day (probably about 95% of the material).

I also really liked the section on assessing growth over time with electronic portfolios. I feel like this is a great way to assess students because it shows their progress compared to themselves rather than assessing them against others work. I feel like this is an effective way because we have actually seen it done and experienced it in this class. I think that is a great way to test whether students are doing their work. I have felt like doing the best work possible even though we are not graded in this class. I have enjoyed the projects and I like having them all on moodle because it allows me to go back and review what I have done. I could see how this could be very helpful to students because it is an assessment tool that is very effective when working with ELLs. I believe that this is true because it is not assessing them according to other students rather to their own achievement.

I have really liked using other assessment tools in this class like the clicker assessment tool. I like how this tool can be anonymous to the class because I think it encourages students to respond the questions that are being asked. We used a assessment tool in our TESOL class today that we used our cell phones to send a text to the answer that we chose. It was a fun way to get everyone involved and everyone participated because it was anonymous and it had no bearing on our grade.

Another great way to assess students that we have used in this class are computer based surveys. I think that a lot of these tools are very helpful to use because a lot of them are anonymous to the class. It is a great way to decide whether you have taught the subject so that students understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment