Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chapter7-Communicating with Technologies

This chapter talks about how students in our classroom have entered another realm of technology that generations before us have not met. Even young adults like ourselves are behind the time with students in our classroom when it comes to technology. This chapter talks about the different ways to communicate using technology.

The first way that the chapter discusses communicating is on a discussion board. One of the first things I read was that it was different and somewhat better in some ways than one-on-one interactions. When I read this the first time it kind of scared me because I think that we have to be careful to make sure that our students lives are filled with rich social lives not just consisting of online conversations. But I see where this type of communications can be seen as a more positive way of communicating, because it talks about how communicators have to be more careful with there speech, they can double check what they are about to say. This is one thing that is great for many people who might not always be great in the one-on-one conversation setting. I know personally that I feel more open when I am writing someone online instead of in person. I know that is one of the reasons that Jeff wants us to come see him in person. I am glad that as a technology teacher he also puts emphasis on the one on one social interaction. I also like the idea of the discussion boards as being without bias. I think that is great, biases such as gender, race and age are taken out of the mix and people can be "themselves" or they can recreate themselves online. I think that might be a negative part about communicating online. I think that a lot of people hide their identity online and that can become dangerous, especially for young students in my classroom. They can be talking to a so called 10 year old but there is really no telling how old that person really is. That is why it is important to be on a safe website for students and younger children when communicating with technologies.

A great way that the book suggests that teachers can use this technology is to build international connections and project work. Asynchronous communication (communication not in real time) can be used when students are in different time zones. When we were reading about video conferencing a couple chapters back, that was one of the disadvantages. A lot of times if we wanted to take our students on a “virtual fieldtrip” then we would have to do so not in real time but that would not work with the video conferencing. They cannot realistically have a conversation when the time in another part of the country is about 2 A.M. This type of communication can connect students with others beyond the immediate classroom, opening windows to new learning experiences by exposure to new ideas, cultural diversity and unique partnerships (pg. 143).

I really liked that the chapters always give some options for child friendly websites. I think that is one of my main concerns with most of the technology that we use and having those safe alternatives is such a great option to use in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment